Sunday, November 7, 2010

testimony meeting

       Today is the sabbath day, and it is a special one at that.  The first Sunday of every month we have what is called "fast and testimony meeting."  First of all we fast for two meals, and we take the money we would have other wise used and give it to the churches fund to help those who do not have any.  This is following the scripture which I love, that a member of our ward read today,  the scripture says "
  Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord?
  Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
  Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?" -Isaiah 58: 5-7
 
 
         The second part of this special day is that we have the opportunity to share our testimonies.  It is an open mic for all who want to go up and share about there testimonies or experiences they had that built there testimonies.  It is a day where the spirit can be felt extra strong, because it is simple people sharing simple declarations of truth, which is the definition of a testimony.  I invite all who would like to share your testimonies as well on here, so that others can here what you know to be true.  so please share with us your testimonies!

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog! came here from LDS.net (I'm changed). Our family is sick today, so we missed testimony meeting - this is great because it gives me the chance to share my testimony even though I could not share it at church. I am a convert to the LDS church, and gained my testimony of the church after attending a LDS meeting to fulfill a comparitive religions class assignment.. We were supposed to go to a religious group that we had never been to before, and then report back to the class about the experience. I ended up in a little kids primary class because I went with a friend who was teaching primary. The class was on the plan of salvation. while in the class, the Spirit bore witness to me of the plan of salvation - I had never felt the Spirit before, it came as a shock to me... not so much the plan of salvation, but that a spriitual being was opening my mind, I did not know that spiritual beings existed prior to that point... So, I bear my testimony of God the Father, of His son Jesus Christ, and of the Spirit - that They are real, and really can and do communicate with us... It's been 12 years now, and the spiritual experiences keep coming, I'm so thankful for the church in my life, because I was lost - sooo lost - and now I really am found. Thanks for the chance to share!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a testimony of Jesus Christ and this church. I used to be a Lutheran growing up but when I was 21 years old I felt the need to search for something more. The gospel and the restored church has been such a blessing to me and my family. I felt just like Joseph Smith when I was seeking to know what church to join. I related to his testimony of the restoration and quickly knew it was true and I had to join. Many thought it was just a phase I was in and I wouldn't stick with it but that was 28 years ago! The members of the church are like family to me no matter where I go in the world. I love the commandments of the Lord and I know He blesses those who love Him and keep His commandments.

    ReplyDelete