Sunday, November 14, 2010

Temples

        Today we had the opportunity to go to Stake Conference, for those of you who do not know what this is, let me explain.  In our church there are many members spread in various parts of the world, in order to help the church function at it's highest capability we separate the members into what is called "wards" based on demographics, ward genearally have about 150-250 people.  Several wards, usually about 6-10, make up a stake.  So for us here in the Santa Rosa, there are 10 differents wards in the stake.  Today all those wards joined together for one fantastic meeting. 

       One of the topics that stood out to me was the temple.  For many not of our faith, the temple is a big and unknown building, that brings much curiosity and questions.  I will explain why temples are so important and how they have blessed me in my life. 

      The temple is the house of god, It is a place where where the family can be sealed, or joined, together for time and all eternity.  This is the most important ordinance that goes on in the temple. My family has not yet been sealed but I know that one day we will be, and we will be able to live together forever, this is my greatest desire.  I also know that one day I will have a family of my own and we will be able to go to the temple and be sealed for time and all eternity.  This is my greatest goal in life. 

     In the temple we do other very important work, that is vicarious work for those who have passed on.  There are many who go through this life, and they never have the opportunity to hear the name of the lord and accept his gospel.  He has given us certain requirements, such a baptism, that we must do to make it back to him.  It doesn't make sense to me that those who never had a chance here should just be cast out, and go to hell.   But I do realize they must abide by the Saviors requirements, this is where this work in the temple comes in.  We can stand in place for these people and be baptized in there name, they then can choose to accept this ordinance or reject it.  For those who accept it, the doors of heaven are opened unto them.  This brings me so much peace to know that my ancestors who never received this message, will have another opportunity. 

     This is why the temple is so important.  I would love for others to share about there testimonies of the temple with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment