Saturday, January 1, 2011

He and we

       Today I am letting Elder Hobson write my post for me, so enjoy!!

      Recently, I have been pondering on a certain principal I will start by using a scripture. In 2 Nephi 31:10 a prophet named Nephi explains why our Savior was baptized and why it is so important to follow his perfect example. Nephi actually had the privilege of envisioning an account of Christ's own baptism. During this same experience he also hears some of Christ's own words. "And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me." Many other times throughout the scriptures our Savior Jesus Christ asks us to follow Him. Now, why does he ask us to follow him? In every case it is because of His pure love for us. In every case it is for our benefit and for the benefit of those around us. He knows what we should do; He has done it all (3 Nephi 27:21). He knows perfectly how to succor us because he perfectly suffered for us (Alma 7:11-12). He is the perfect example.

                                                               

        I am going to somewhat change the pace now by using two other passages of scripture. In 1 Nephi 8, Lehi (Nephi's father) has a prophetic dream concerning mainly his own family and the world. In verses 5-9 Lehi is asked by a man in a white robe (Jesus Christ) to follow him. Later, he finds himself traveling in a dark and dreary wilderness while following Christ. Lehi then states he had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, he began to pray unto the Lord that He would have mercy on him. His prayer was answered and he was relieved from his discomfort. Now, hold this thought.
                                                    

        In Matthew 14:28-31 is the account of Peter walking on the water. 28. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. 29. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. 30. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. 31. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him.
                                                           

        Ok, let's try to wrap this up now. Christ is the Lord and He has given His ALL for us. He invites us to follow him in every way. Is it hard? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes. Growth means growing pains. Lehi and Peter were both asked to follow Him. In both accounts they experienced "suffering" and "discomfort" and in both cases they asked for the Lords help. Their prayers were granted as our prayers can be granted during our life's trials. I receive comfort from knowing that whenever I am following in the footsteps of my Savior, He is right in front of me leading the way and when I feel like falling He will turn around and pick me back up every time I feel too weak to carry on. I testify that He has truly given his all for all of us. He can be with us always if we choose it, if we follow Him. How much closer could you get to anyone than by following them? I love Him, I want to be with Him.
                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment